Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Security Blanket

I just got the best news that one of my favorite bands from the 1980s is touring and will be making a stop in Boston.  I immediately contact my BFF and tell her the great news.  After hashing out the venue and ticket price, she informs me that she invited her quasi boyfriend. I hope you don't mind (she texts me) I invited Ben.  This irks me.  I mean 15 minutes hadn't even elapsed yet.  I reply back, I would've preferred if you mentioned this to me before you invited him, but whatever.   I thought this could be something special for just her and I to share since this band was a significant part of our adolescence.

I'd like to take you back in time to New Year's eve sometime in the 1990s.  I decided to throw a little soiree for the girls since we didn't have dates. Again I called my BFF.  I bought party favors, appetizers including scallops wrapped in bacon and even a bottle of bubbly.  While the girls are on the sofa, feeling a little tipsy, I wonder into my bedroom to change the music.  I overhear them talking.  Evidently they both have dates, which they didn't tell me about and are planning  to leave early.  Then my BFF says "Don't worry she'll be passed out in an hour then we can get out of here."  I was so hurt.  I had gone out of my way to make a good time for us and this is how they treat me.  They couldn't wait to leave.

I have always been a strong independent person.  I've had my share of boyfriends, but I also have enjoyed being single.  This is the difference between myself and my BFF. 

What is it exactly about having a man in one's life that makes a woman feel complete?

No comments: